Recent Posts

blog title

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

You Know What's Hard?

Getting yourself excited about taking maternity photos. Most people don't like to have their picture taken anyway, and since maternity photos are best taken in about your eighth month when all you want to do is float in the coldest pool you can find, maternity pics are not on most women's list of fun things to do!

You know what's even harder, though? Trying to take your own maternity photos!

Since I work at home, Michael and I are hardly ever all cleaned up at the same time, so maternity photos required some planning on our part. Also, since I am a photographer, I thought I would just set up my camera on a tripod, use the timer and snap a few photos that we can frame along with our baby's newborn pics.

My camera's timer gives you ten seconds to push the button, get posed and smiling and then actually take the picture. Do you know how hard that is when you're huge? We wound up with many, many shots of me straightening my shirt ,and fixing my hair and just in general looking really uncomfortable since I had very little time to actually pose.

We did wind up getting one that we can use:


Did you catch that? ONE. We got one. Twenty minutes of up and down off the porch swing and we got one good..eh, useable...shot.

All that to say, there is no reason for this! If ever you wanted to hire someone to pose you naturally, and worry about the light, and whether your hair and shirt are straight and tell you you're beautiful and you're doing a great job while you take photos - this is that time!! Heck, I think most pregnant women would hire someone to do those things even without the photo-taking if they had the money!

With a good photographer, this shoot can even end up being really fun! And hopefully, the end product will make you think, "Oh! I thought I looked way more awkward than that! I actually look pretty in these pictures!" Or something along those lines...


See, aren't they pretty?

I'm very close to having my baby, so if you're due around the same time as me and have yet to take any maternity photos, I encourage you to hire a different professional around town! However, I am already taking reservations for September portrait sessions, so if you're due in November sometime, you should give me a call and set it up! Do it now while you can still imagine wanting to take photos and I still have openings!

Contact me through my webpage or shoot me an email at jenni@jennirobertsphotography.com. Despite the waddling and the difficulty sleeping and the stretch marks, this really is a special time for you mommas-to-be! It may feel like you'll be pregnant forever, but that baby will make its appearance sooner than you think and you'll wish that you had taken an hour or so to make some memories!

Jenni

P.S. - If you're not pregnant yourself but somebody you love is, a gift certificate for photography makes a sweet shower gift!


4 comments:

  1. Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of you and Michael was worth the twenty times up and down (and I want a copy of it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you're going to be glad you went to the trouble. I wish I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great idea! I've been trying to think of a special gift for my sister who's expecting.

    ReplyDelete