Recent Posts

blog title

Monday, June 24, 2013

Mac-n-Cheese at Moonshine

So my college roommate was in town on Friday, and since she grew up in Austin and now lives in Fort Worth, I asked if there was any restaurant in particular that she misses. She picked Moonshine.


Can't say as I was disappointed! It's right by the Convention Center on Red River, so if there's a huge convention in town, skip it! It will be packed! But Friday apparently didn't have anything huge going on, so we had no problem getting a table and some popcorn.

Yup. They serve popcorn before the meal. It's like really good movie theater popcorn with some kind of spicy something on top. I don't know what it is, but it's good, and it doesn't make you completely crazy full before your food gets there!

Sometimes I get the catfish that's topped with crawfish, but since we were just having lunch I got the Backyard Chicken Sandwich.


I needed to tell you what it was called, because the above picture does not make it clear! It's chicken - it's just covered in cheese and grilled peppers and avocado. I'll admit, the fact that it had avocado weighed heavily on my decision.

The clincher was the fact that it also came with a side, which in Jenni-speak means it came with macaroni and cheese.


Yes, I am four years old. Or at least that's what my palate would suggest. I don't pick my restaurants completely based on whether they have macaroni and cheese, but I do not put good mac-n-cheese in the negatives column either.

My raving about the popcorn and mac-n-cheese doesn't really make it sound like a grown-up restaurant, but it would actually make a pretty good little date spot. I've never ordered anything there that I didn't like, and the atmosphere is nice and cool but not stuffy. It's in an historic house, which I did not happen to get a photo of. I totally did that on purpose so that you'd be pleasantly surprised!

Or somethin' like that!

Jenni

2 comments:

  1. Dean of Woodland ParkJune 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM

    Is Jenni-speak the same thing as doodle-dialect ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your story on Moonshine I took my girlfriend there for dinner. It is officially our favorite restaurant now! The food and the atmosphere is a great "date spot".

    ReplyDelete