Recent Posts

blog title

Friday, August 2, 2013

Austin Summer Staple: Fresh Veggies

I'm from East Texas, and in East Texas, it's pretty easy to find a homegrown tomato. Or some peas if you want them. Or okra. People who grow veggies for a hobby always grow more than they can eat and bring them to work or church to share around.

Luckily, Austin is one city that has really embraced the farmer's market trend, so you can actually find all those things right here, too! Plus, out here, we have things like Fredericksburg peaches and wildflowers that you don't see in my hometown.


Mmmm! Don't you want to make a pie with those?! If you do, bring me some, please! I'll provide the ice cream!


I'm not entirely sure, but I'm pretty sure those peppers are not more expensive than what you would find in the grocery store. Not significantly so, anyway.


Is it weird if I frame a picture of tomatoes and hang it in my living room? The kitchen makes more sense I guess. They're just so pretty! I've never seen purple ones before. Apparently they're sweet.


Did you know it's already pumpkin season? Apparently so. I would like to reiterate my peach pie request for anyone thinking of making a pumpkin pie. I will provide the whipped cream.


Now these would definitely go in my living room. Maybe even better than the tomato picture.

All these photos came from the farmer's market at the Triangle on Wednesday evening. But they're held all around town at different times during the week. It's not hard to track one down, and I would bet that a lot of the same vendors make the rounds at the different markets.

Enjoy your peach and pumpkin pies, and your fried purple tomatoes, and your wildflower bouquets! Ain't it great?!

Jenni

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm ... fried green tomatoes, with homemade Ranch Dressing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some farmers' markets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could tell how passionate the vendors are about their work. They care deeply about their farming practices and their customers.

    ReplyDelete